Best Swiss wines in 2022 revealed in Wine Grand Prix
The best Swiss wines for 2022 have been revealed at the latest Wine Grand Prix in Bern. In a year that is expected to yield the Swiss wine of the century, the best winery in the country was found to not be in Zurich, Vaud or Ticino, but in the mountains of Valais.
2.300-strong wine tasting done as part of Swiss Wine Grand Prix
In what must have been quite a raucous few days, 132 jurors and wine experts travelled to Sierre in the Swiss mountains for the Wine Grand Prix 2022, where they blind-tasted 2.325 different wines from across 18 of the 26 cantons, to see which were best. Prizes were given for the best Swiss white, red, rosé, blancs de noirs and sparkling wines, along with the title of "Winery of the Year."
On October 29, more than 550 guests attended a prestigious ceremony in Bern to see who won the accolades. Clearly, the fayre in 2022 was to the judges' liking, as 300 gold and 418 silver medals were awarded at the event.
Best winery in Switzerland revealed
After earning the title of best red wine for their Syrah in 2021, the Cave du Rhodan in Valais was named the “Swiss Winery of the Year” for 2022. The municipality of Salquenen, where the winery is based, has now won the title at four out of the sixteen editions of the contest.
Sandra and Olivier Mounir, the winery's owners, were praised for their organic farming practises and their self-sufficiency when it comes to heat and energy - not to mention an excellent-tasting wine. “The couple also attaches great importance to fairness and equal treatment with partners and collaborators,” the judges noted.
Best Swiss wine in 2022
In all, these were chosen as the best Swiss wines in 2022:
Best white wine from Switzerland in 2022:
- Chasselas: Calamin, Jean-Francois Neyroud-Fonjallaz, Calamin AOC (2021)
- Müller-Thurgau: Riesling Sylvaner, Weinbau Jenny luzi, AOC Graubünden (2021)
- Other white grape: Libertine, Cave Petite Vertu Sàrl, AOC Valais (2019)
Best red wine from Switzerland in 2022:
- Pinot Noir: Barrel Pinot noir, Weingut Gehring, Swiss Country Wine (2020)
- Gamay: Gamay Old Vine, Domaines Chevaliers SA, AOC Valais (2020)
- Merlot: Ligornetto, Vinattieri Ticino SA, DOC Ticino (2019)
- Shiraz: Shiraz, Cave du Rhodan Mounir Weine AG, AOC Valais (2021)
Best sparking and rosé wines from Switzerland in 2022:
- Rosé: Heat wave, Kursner estate, AOC La Côte
- Sparkling wines: Vintage Brut Blanc de Blancs Jacques Germanier Reserve, Germanier - Tunnel Cellar, AOC Valais (2016)
See how your favourite Swiss wine was rated
For more information about the ranking, and to see how your favourite Swiss wine did, check out the vinea website.